With the summer season, comes the need to stay hydrated. Our bodies are around 60 per cent water. So, even a slightest bit of dehydration negatively affects how we function, energy levels and even our immunity.
It is essential to stay hydrated as it improves your body’s ability to absorb nutrients and also regulates your digestive system. Water plays important role in proper gastrointestinal functioning. Even mild dehydration can lead to more fatigue, less alertness and a bad mood.
Staying hydrated doesn’t always mean to drink more water. Here are some ways to stay hydrated this summer-
- Veggies and Fruits
- Track your hydration level
- Add some flavor to your water
1. Oatmeal- Start your day with oatmeal. It is the best breakfast and is also very hydrating. When oats are cooked, they expand and absorb the water or milk they’re being combined with. You can also add some overnight soaked chia seeds to it. Chia seeds when soaked up weigh 10 times more and helps you stay hydrated.
2. Veggies and Fruits- Fruits and vegetables have high water content. Veggies are a good addition to any meal. Fruits like cantaloupe, strawberries and watermelon are full of water. Even veggies such as lettuce, cabbage, celery, spinach are mostly water.
3. Track your hydration level- Install hydration level-tracking app in your mobile phone. Yes, it’s that easy. There are many applications available on app store and google play which tracks your water intake. They also remind you to start swigging during the day. If not an app, you can also set a reminder every hour to drink water.
4. Add some flavor to your water- If you are bored with plain water, try flavored water. Add some flavor like a fresh fruit or a splash of fruit juice in your water bottle. You also consume clear broths, ice pops or sports drinks. You can try making a popsicle for yourself at home. Just blend watermelon, you can also add some fruits slice and fill it into popsicle mold and freeze it for an hour.