Chia seeds have numerous health, skin and hair benefits. It can be termed as a “Superfood”. And it is gaining popularity these days due to its excellent nutritional content and skin-boosting properties.
Chia seeds are extracted from a flowering plant called Salvia Hispanica, and are oval-shaped, grey-colored seeds with black and white spots on them. They are high in protein, omega-3 fatty acids, magnesium, iron, zinc, vitamin complex, Vitamin E and calcium.
The following are some of the skin benefits of chia seeds-
- Fights free radical damage
- Strengthens skin barrier
- Hydrates skin
- Makes your skin glow
- Soothes inflammation
1. Fights free radical damage- Chia seeds are rich in antioxidants, which are essential for your health as they help your cells to defend against free radicals that are caused by your skin’s exposure to UV rays. It helps to keep ageing-related skin problems like wrinkles and fine lines at bay.
2. Strengthens skin barrier- A strong protective shield is crucial to protect your skin from external aggressors like damage caused to skin due to daily outdoor exposure. The omega-3 fatty acids present in chia seeds helps to strengthen this protective shield.
3. Hydrates skin- Chia seed is rich in fibre which absorbs large quantities of water. This makes it a hydrating element when added to your diet or skincare routine. Just like aloe vera, soaked chia seeds is very good for your skin and helps your skin to remain hydrated.
4. Makes your skin glow- Chia seed is full of nutrients like vitamin A, vitamin C, iron and potassium that makes you skin glow. Regular consumption of chia seeds boosts the luminosity and elasticity of the skin. Omega-3 fatty acid also adds up glow to your skin by reducing inflammation, dryness and also preserves collagen.
5. Soothes inflammation- Most of the skin issues arises due to inflammation in your skin. The immense cooling properties of chia seed and presence of omega-3 fatty acid helps in soothing inflammation and keeping your skin healthy and calm.