Many of us might have some or the other vitamin or mineral deficiency, and to combat that deficiency or to lower the risk of certain diseases, we may just feel to be proactive about our health and consider taking a supplement to improve our health.
Though many supplements are beneficial for your health but some may be harmful. It is important to know about supplements, before you start taking one-
- Supplements come in many forms
- Some supplements are effective, while others are not
- Supplements aren’t always safe
- You probably don’t need a multivitamin
- Nothing can replace a healthy diet
1. Supplements come in many forms- Supplements are available in many forms such as tablet, powder or liquid form etc. However, all of them aim towards the same thing i.e. to give enough nutrients and enhance your health. They contain at least one dietary ingredient such as vitamins, minerals, herbs, botanicals, amino acids or enzymes.
2. Some supplements are effective, while others are not- Everything has a down fall, even if it is a supplement. Although, common supplements like Vitamin B12, Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Calcium etc are good for health but some research suggests that multivitamin tablet can be harmful for your health.
3. Supplements aren’t always safe- In most of the cases; multivitamins didn’t actually pose any health risk. But, it is important to be cautious. Specially, for the people already suffering from any kind of disease, it is advisable to consult your doctor before taking any type of supplement.
4. You probably don’t need a multivitamin- It is not always good to be proactive. Taking multivitamin to ensure you are getting adequate amount of vitamins and nutrients might not be necessary for everyone. Don’t take unnecessary supplements, until and unless your doctor says to take any.
5. Nothing can replace a healthy diet- Health expert around the world states that a balanced and healthy diet can never be replaced by any kind of supplements. Having a healthy diet that includes all the necessary vitamins and minerals will keep you away from having to worry about any excess vitamins, ineffective supplements and potentially dangerous or unregulated ingredients.