Indian culture and traditions are one of the oldest culture and traditions in the world. Apart from wearing attractive sarees and gold jewellery, one of the most worn body accessory in Indian culture is “Bindi”.
The word “Bindi” came from the Sanskrit word “Bindu”, which refers to a point or a dot. It is worn in the middle of eyebrows on the forehead by young girls and women in India. It comes in different colors to match with your outfit and also varies in sizes.
In India, the type of bindi worn also differs from region to region. For example, in Maharashtra women prefer to wear half moon shaped bindi whereas in West Bengal, women wear large red dot bindi and so on.
Mostly Indian women prefer to wear small red/maroon dot bindi. However, the reason behind wearing a bindi remains same, regardless of region or language. Wearing a Bindi is not only a cultural practice, but is also has number of health benefits!
The benefits of wearing a bindi, are as follows-
- Helps in concentration
- Relief from headache
- Good for eyes
- Enhances hearing power
- Alleviates stress, eye strain, fatigue and insomnia
1. Helps in concentration- The point at which bindi is worn, is known as ‘ajna/agya chakra’. It is sixth and most important chakra in human body. It helps in meditating, boosts memory and is belived to be centre of knowledge, intuition, awareness. It also aids in calming one’s mind.
2. Relief from headache- Pressing the point for few seconds can help in alleviating one’s headache. It is connected to number of nerves and blood vessels.
3. Good for eyes- A nerve called supratrochlear also passes through this area, it is connected to all muscles around the eyes. This nerve helps in improving vision and eye health.
4. Enhances hearing power- The point is has a nerve passing through it, which helps in stimulating cochlear, which is part of inner ear, this serves as a key to hearing.
5. Alleviates stress, eye strain, fatigue and insomnia- This point helps in relaxing one’s body and face, which in turn prevents insomnia and promotes restful sleep. According to acupressure, it helps to ease stress, weariness and eye strain by stimulating this spot.