In general, living a healthy life is always associated with good nutrition and adequate exercise. However, according to some research in this area of health, fasting may help you in managing weight and preventing several diseases.
Fasting is defined as a period of partial or total restriction from all or selected foods. It is generally done as a part of dieting for weight loss or religious purpose.
It turns out; fasting has many other potential health benefits. Let’s have a look at some of such benefits-
- Regulate blood sugar level
- Helps in weight loss
- Relief from inflammation
- May extend lifespan
- Healthy brain
1. Regulate blood sugar level- Your body rely more on fat than carbohydrates while you are on fast which decreases insulin production. It is useful for those who are at risk of diabetes. It also keeps your blood sugar steady, prevents spikes or crashes in your blood sugar level.
2. Helps in weight loss- Fasting is an easy way to lose weight. Short-term fasting helps in boosting metabolism which induces weight loss. High metabolic rate helps you burn more fat faster. During fast you tend to take low calorie food which preserves muscle tissue.
3. Relief from inflammation- Chronic inflammation can have serious consequences and may lead to heart disease, cancer etc. Fasting helps in decreasing level of inflammation and promotes better health.
4. May extend lifespan- Fasting may help you live a little longer. Given the high metabolic rate and lowers the risk of suffering from chronic disease, fasting could help you live a healthier life for a long time.
5. Healthy brain - Fasting has the ability to increase levels of a brain hormone called brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF). Deficiency of BDNF can lead to depression and various other brain problems.