You all might have heard about ‘Intermittent fasting’. Well, it refers to an eating pattern that includes periods of fasting of around 12-36 hours. It has turned out to be a great way to manage you weight. Some types of intermittent fasting include-
- Alternate-day fasting- Under this approach, you eat a normal diet for one day, and on the next day either you completely fast or have a small meal (less than 500 calories).
- 5:2 fasting- Under this, you eat a normal diet five days a week and fast two days a week.
- Daily time-restricted fasting- In this type, every day you eat normally but only within an eight- hour window.
Now, let’s understand why you should follow intermittent fasting-
- Weight loss
- Better heart health
- Better brain health
- Lower risk of type 2 diabetes
1. Weight loss-The insulin level is reduced when you don’t consume food. During the fasting period, this decrease causes your body cells to release their glucose stores as energy. This process leads to weight loss. Intermittent fasting also includes consumption of fewer calories which also contributes to weight loss.
2. Better heart health- Some studies have shown that intermittent fasting can improve your cardiovascular health. Intermittent fasting could lead to reduction in blood pressure, heart rate, cholesterol, triglycerides and also inflammatory markers.
3. Better brain health- Intermittent fasting helps in reducing oxidative stress and inflammation. It also improves various metabolic features which are important to keep your brain healthy. It may also promote the formation of new neurons and protect the brain from damage.
4. Lower risk of type 2 diabetes- Intermittent fasting may help in preventing type 2 diabetes. As it helps in weight management and potentially influences other factors associated with increased risk of diabetes like keeping check on insulin level.