Stress has become a part of everyone’s life, be it men or women. With jobs, bills, relationships and events in your daily life, stress comes along with it.
Stress not only affects your sleeping cycle, diet but also your skin. It triggers secretion of hormone named as cortisol which causes various chemical reactions to your skin. It can also lead to premature ageing and dry skin.
Let’s see the symptoms of stressed out skin-
- Rashes and Hives
- Flushed face
- Tired eyes
1. Acne- Stress is not the primary reason for acne to develop, but it can contribute to it. The chemical imbalance caused by cortisol results in breakout of acne on your face as well as the rest of your body. Stress also pushes sebaceous glands to produce more oil, which clog your pores.
2. Rashes and Hives- Hives are itchy, raised welts that are found on your skin. Stress disrupts the balance between good and bad bacteria, which increases the chances of getting rashes and hives. It also causes imbalance in your gut. You can try breathing exercises when you’re stressed out.
3. Dryness- Dry skin is often associated with stress. Stress weakens the skin’s lipid barrier, allowing fluids to evaporate. As a result, your skin looks dry. It also reduces the ability of skin cell to reach skin’s surface and flake off. It gives you a dull look.
4. Flushed face- When you’re stressed, you are likely to breathe short or you might even find yourself holding breath for longer period. This change in breathing pattern can lead to flushing and redness. You can splash some water on your face, to cool off your skin.
5. Tired eyes- Tomorrow’s to-do list can ruin your tonight’s sleep, which causes puffiness in your eyes. It also leads to dark circles. You can reduce this puffiness by using cucumber slices as mini ice packs for the eyes. It compresses the blood and lymph vessels that transport fluid to the affected area.