Taking care of eyes is as important as taking care of other parts of your body. Nowadays, most of your daytime involves looking at computer, tablet, TV and mobile phone which makes your eyes tired and causes eyestrain.
Here are some tips which will help in keeping your eyes healthy-
- Eat well
- Say no to smoking
- Sun protection
- Take rest during your screen time
1. Eat well- Eating right is foremost for a good eye health. Nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids, lutein, zinc, vitamin C and E help in reducing vision problems like macular degeneration and cataracts. Add some green veggies, salmon, eggs and citrus fruits to your daily diet. A healthy diet also reduces chance of diabetes which is one of the reasons of blindness.
2. Say no to smoking- We all know smoking is injurious to health, but it also increases risk of cataracts, macular degeneration. A research stated that smokers are twice or thrice more likely to suffer from debilitation of eyes than non-smokers. It also damages your optic nerve.
3. Sun protection- Your eyes also need protection from sun’s ultraviolet rays. Too much exposure to UV rays increases the risk of suffering from eye-related diseases. Always wear sunglasses to give your eyes protection from sun. Look for 99-100% UVA and UVB protection sunglasses.
4. Eyewear- Wear protective eyewear to avoid any type of eye injury. Whether you’re playing a sport or working at your job always wear safety glasses to avoid risk of eye injury. You can also wear helmets with protective face mask to shield your eyes.
5. Take rest during your screen time- Almost half or ever more part of your day is spent on working on computer screen or using mobile phones, tablets. Too much of staring at computer or phone screen can cause blurry vision, eyestrain, dry eyes and even headaches. Try to take little breaks in between to relax your eyes. Make sure you place your screen at your eye level.