Exercise is crucial to live a healthy life. It improves your heart and lungs and also builds strong bones and muscles. However, working out too much can cause muscle soreness.
Muscle soreness is a sign that your body muscles are responding to the workout. You may feel muscle ache or tightening up muscles for about 12-48 hours after you exercise. As your muscles get bigger and stronger as they mend.
Although, there is no way to completely avoid muscle soreness, following tips may help you during the recovery process-
1. Warm up- Stretch for 10-15 minutes before you workout to warm up your muscles. It makes your muscles active by increasing blood flow to them. It prevents injury and also primes your muscles for rebuilding post-exercise. Slow jogging, jumping rope or lifting light weights are some of the options.
2. Drink water- Drink water during and after your work out. It helps in controlling your body temperature. It also loosens up your joints and transports nutrients to generate energy. Water eases inflammation; flush out waste products from your body. A good rule states to drink 8 ounces of water for every 15-30 minutes of exercise.
3. Eat right- Eat before as well as after a workout. Consume protein, carbohydrates and healthy fats to lubricate your joints. As protein helps in repairing muscles. Eating before workout is necessary to gain energy and post workout meals ensure repair and growing of muscles. It also hastens the healing process.
4. Cool down- Stretching is important even after you work out. After an intense workout, your muscles are all warmed up and relaxed. Stretching after workout helps in blood circulation and aids in recovery process.
5. Use a Foam Roller- Roll it out. Immediately after workout, use a foam roller. It helps in increasing range of motion and also increases blood circulation. It aids in reducing swelling and tenderness. It speeds up healing and recovery process.
6. Keep moving- Don’t just sit ideal. Try doing a light activity. Research have suggested some light movements after workout helps in blood circulation and it also speeds up body’s ability to manage waste associated with muscle aches.