Many of us may want to change their hair look and opt for a trendy hair color to spruce things up a little. But you also need to know that when you color your hair, you allow chemicals to penetrate your hair locks.
Dyed hair is prone to dryness, damage and breakage. And if not taken cared properly they may lose their shine. You need to take extra care of your hair before and after coloring your hair to keep them hydrated and flawless as always.
Here are some basic tips which can help you take care of your dyed hair-
- Don’t wash your hair for next 72 hours
- Use the right shampoo
- Use conditioner
- Heat should be avoided
- Don’t color your hair too frequently
1. Don’t wash your hair for next 72 hours- Don’t apply shampoo to your hair for 3 days after coloring, this will wash off your color easily. The chemical process of ammonia during hair coloring opens up the hair cuticles and makes them prone to damage. It takes up to 3 days for the cuticle to close fully.
2. Use the right shampoo- Use a color protecting shampoo. The shampoo you apply plays a critical role in maintain the vibrancy of your colored hair. It protects your hair and also balances your natural pH. They contain ingredients which hydrate and nourish your hair. Avoid shampoo containing sulfate and alcohol.
3. Use conditioner- Apply conditioner, whenever you shampoo your dyed hair. Make sure your conditioner is also color-safe. The conditioner acts as a protective shield on the hair strands. This helps in closing the cuticles and locking in moisture to add shine, volume to your hair. It will make your hair softer, silkier than ever.
4. Heat should be avoided- Try to wash your hair with cool or lukewarm water as hot water can damage and fade hair color. Also avoid using hair styling tools such as curling iron, hair straightener etc. They open up the cuticle which also fades away your hair color.
5. Don’t color your hair too frequently- Too much of anything is not good. Excessive hair coloring can cause damage to your hair. Don’t color your hair for more than once every 5 to 6 weeks. Although you can give touch up to specific portion of your hair where color has faded away.